In blogger inspirational women inspiring story mother mothers day paralysis proud Tupperware woman

An inspiration.

Let me tell you the story of a very inspirational woman.

She met her husband when she was just 10 years old, fell in love at 18, got married at 19, while studying for her B.A. She chose to be a housewife. Her husband got a job in USA and then Europe, she followed him enjoying the adventure. Her husband was just finding his footing but she didn’t care. By the age of 24 she had two kids, when she was still growing up herself. She was blessed with a happy marriage and in-laws who loved her.

Once they were back in India, she enjoyed being a housewife until 1998 when her husband saw an advertisement for Tupperware. Tupperware had just come to India and was looking out for woman interested in pursuing a career with them. She was hesitant at first, but her husband didn’t take no for an answer. He insisted she work, he knew she had a lot of potential.

Her first year in Tupperware was a bit rough. She had to take her two kids with her to work, make sure she kept up with the competition. Sadly, many opposed her working for the huge MNC and called her a ‘dabbawaali’. They looked down upon her saying she was a saleswoman who went door to door begging people to buy plastic containers. She didn’t let any of this get to her and soon she became a distributor.

In 1998, her husband got a heart attack. Her world came crashing down and she didn’t know what to do. To her luck she had a job and was a bit settled in, but she had much more coming her way. Her husband was diagnosed with a heart condition that had absolutely no cure, the only thing that could be done was monitor his health. Every day she prayed for a miracle and didn’t lose hope.


Over the years her husband has had 5 heart attacks. With each attack she would worry even more but, she knew that she had no option but to be strong, and would work even harder to make sure her family was taken care of; she tackled every obstacle that came her way.

In 2004, during a Tupperware conference at The Clarke in Rajasthan, she went to relax in her room. As she touched a lamp, she was flung across the room...  she got electrocuted. She was immediately flown to Mumbai for medical treatment. The electric shock left her entire right side paralysed. She couldn't move the right side of her lips, she couldn't write, couldn’t walk properly. She didn’t know what was going on.

Once, while talking on the phone in her kitchen, her children shrieked in despair. Her hand was burning on the lit stove and she had no clue at all. She had almost lost complete sensation of her right hand.

But her paralysis didn’t stop her, she underwent intensive physiotherapy and would practise using her right hand as much as possible, but until then she couldn’t sit still. She started practicing writing and basic chores with her left hand. It took her over 4 years to get back her movement and sensation, sadly, she sometimes still has small setbacks. But she worked hard and today you wouldn't believe she was ever paralyzed.

Her name is Varsha Rajadhyaksha. She, is my mom.

We all fight with our moms. My mom and I would scream at each other as if we were sworn enemies. I would always be angry with her for not being around for my birthday, not helping me out with studies, not being there for any big event or even not going to the doctor with me. But, today when I look back upon the reasons why she couldn’t make it, I feel terrible. I was probably too young at that time to understand the turmoil she was going through, where she had to bear the brunt of my constant anger, and would work hard just to make sure I could get everything I wanted. She would have probably had a terrible day at work or I may have picked up a fight on something as stupid as how she couldn't answer my call. Her struggles were endless.

Yes, she was always busy. Busy holding the family together and facing a number of problems without batting an eyelid. She has always been dedicated to her family to an extent that even her paralysis couldn’t come in the way of her work and duty. Today, she is one of the top distributors in Tupperware and does a lot of charity but won’t even let a soul come to know. Every day, I see her inspire hundreds of women to get independent and live their dreams.

If I could even be half as strong as my mom, I would be truly blessed.

***

Rekha Iyer - 'Varsha is a woman I feel blessed to know. She has so many qualities I can't even pen them down! One thing I have to mention is how positive she is! She is always smiling. When I see her, a smile immediately crops up on my face... because if I don't she will say "Don't frown Rekha, smile!" She inspires so many people everyday, even me! Varsha is a very strong person, no matter how hard things get, she will never give up. There is a lot one can learn from just a few minutes with her. '

Raachana Agarwal - 'Varsha is an awesome person to know. I have acquired a lot of knowledge from her not only professionally but personally as well. She is someone I can count on anytime and any day. A fantastic entrepreneur, mother, guide, teacher and above all a great friend to have forever. Blessed to work with her and got to learn good business skills.'

Sujata Jadhav - 'I got a lot of support from Varsha in Tupperware. She has  made sure I always held my head high & congratulated me even on my smallest accomplishments. Believe me, it was during her meetings that I learnt how to shake hands,accept praise & congratulate. Varsha made me believe in myself. She calls me her "WhatsApp Queen", "Lifesaver", I don't know whether i seriously deserve it. It feels great to know that I have someone like Varsha looking over my shoulders. She has always mentored me in my personal life too, even in d worst situations she acts in the most positive manner. Neha, you are very lucky to have varsha as you mother. I envy you for this.'

Vaishali Pendurkar - 'It's really difficult to write about someone who you have known all your life; and especially Varsha who gets so so embarrassed when you want to tell her anything nice about her.. The best thing about Varsha is that I can depend on her to be the first one to be beside me and the last person  to leave whenever needed.. Happy birthday Varsha.. A friend I was lucky to have all my life ...Remember .. 40 is the old age of youth and 50 is the youth of old age ... So let's enjoy the youth...'

Related Articles

5 comments:

  1. I'm a little upset with myself, I call you one of my closest friends and I didn't know so much of the above. I'd never would have known the struggles your mum overcame cos she always looks like she's got it all figured out. I've always looked up to her and will do so even more now.
    You know, I belive that you are an extraordinary woman, now I know where you get it from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunty is an Inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully penned Neha.....ur love and admiration shines thru....never knew Varshakka went thru so much healthwise....always i see her smiling ! God Bless u Akka and keep u happy,healthy and smiling always ! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neha this story has really touched me. Your mom is truly very inspiring. I know how hard dealing with paralysis can be, and the amount of pain the loved ones go through. Seeing your battle that is the perfect sign that one can get through anything if they really want to. And if what Rekha says is true, "your mom keeps smiling" then you're exactly like her !

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Home Ads

Instagram

Press